3.07.2009

EXPECTATIONS

A wise man once told me that Vision is a picture of the future that creates passion (that is - in leadership terms; I guess it's also what your eyes do, but that's not what I'm talking about ...). I've used this definition in my own life many times. I don't think I've ever found it lacking. But another thing I know is that passion leads to expectations. The size of the expectations is very likely correlated to the size of the vision.

The vision to OutTHINK created a lot of passion. Anyone at GCC on 1/18 could testify to the energy and hopefulness to help the unemployed and hurting in Elkhart County. That passion was raised exponentially at the vision meeting where we prayed, worshipped, and brainstormed for a couple hours.

When Dan and I first spoke after that meeting, we discussed the expectations that may come from this. I think Dan said it best, "some people may expect a cure for cancer now." His point is spot-on. Many people, perhaps you, may have expected something quickly and huge the next day or week. I guess in a sense, so did I. That never materialized. I feel like I've followed each lead and opportunity I was presented, and there was never an opportunity to snap my fingers and have a plant running with hundreds of newly employed workers.

Given these circumstances, the key is to manage the expectations. That is done with open and honest communication, and until now - that hasn't been good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment